IMAGO-MOL Cluster is partner within the project REVERT – taRgeted thErapy for adVanced colorEctal canceR paTients, funded by Horizon 2020, SC1-BHC-02-2019: Systems approaches for the discovery of combinatorial therapies.
The project consortium gathers 14 partners from Italy, Spain, Sweeden, Germany, Luxemburg, and Romania, coordinated by San Raffaele Roma SRL.
The consortium structure:
- SAN RAFFAELE ROMA SRL (IT)
- AZIENDA ULSS 4 VENETO ORIENTALE (IT)
- MALMO UNIVERSITY (SE)
- GENXPRO GMBH (GE)
- FEDERAL INSTITUTE FOR MATERIALS RESEARCH AND TESTING (GE)
- UMEA UNIVERSITY (SE)
- BIOVARIANCE GMBH (GE)
- FUNDACION UNIVERSITARIA SAN ANTONIO (ES)
- REGIONAL INSTITUTE OF ONCOLOGY IASSY (RO)
- INSTITUTO MURCIANO DE INVESTIGACIONES BIOSANITARIAS – HOSPITAL UNIVERSITARIO SANTA LUCIA (ES)
- LUXEMBOURG INSTITUTE OF HEALTH (LU)
- CLUSTERUL REGIONAL INOVATIV DE IMAGISTICA MOLECULARA SI STRUCTURALA NORD-EST (RO)
Implementation period: 1st of January 2020 – 31st of December 2023.
Overall amount of the grant: Eur 5,887,273.75
Overall amount of IMAGO-MOL budget: Eur 299,000
The main objective of REVERT is to develop an improved and innovative model of combinatorial therapy –based on personalised medicine – that identifies the most efficient and cost-effective therapeutic intervention for patients with unresectable metastatic colorectal cancer (mCRC).
The specific objectives are:
▪ To build the REVERT-DataBase (RDB) to re-analyse and characterise the pathophysiology of mCRC and to investigate the causes of positive or negative responses to treatments based on established therapeutic interventions in patients with unresectable mCRC. RDB is built upon a large number of standardized biobank samples with related structured data, and clinical databases from several major European clinical centres;
▪ To build a sophisticated computational framework based on AI to predict patient responses to combinatorial therapies for mCRC care, based on the analysis of new, potential prognostic biomarkers (e.g., gene
mutations, epigenetic changes, gene expression profiling signatures) as molecular predictors of therapeutic response, treatment resistance or disease outcome, in comparison with established therapeutic interventions;
▪ To assess the significance of biomarkers and molecular predictors of therapeutic response or disease
outcome in subjects with mCRC using an innovative AI-model implemented with data from large European clinical databases and biobanks;
▪ To screen and characterize molecular mechanisms of already approved drugs as potential novel candidates for combination therapy to effectively target metastatic cancer by using patient tumour-derived organoids models;
▪ To validate the health, economic and social impact of the model in preclinical/ clinical studies across
▪ To build an EU- network among SMEs, research institutions, clinical centres and biobanks focused on R&D in the field of AI-Health for the development of personalised medicine.
IMAGO-MOL Cluster, as umbrella organization will participate in the project with the following members as linked third parties according to Grant Agreement:
- „Gheorghe Asachi” Technical University from Iasi
- RomSoft SRL
- Euroclinic Oncology Center SRL (Victoria Hospital)
- Clinical Emergency Hospital”Sf. Spriridon” from Iasi
Contact persons from the cluster:
Prof.dr. Cipriana Stefanescu
President of Scientific Committee of IMAGO-MOL Cluster
Scientific Coordinator of the project
Ass. Prof. dr. Adrian Iftene
Project brochure can be downloaded here.
This project has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under grant agreement No 848098”.